29 July 2015

Reading | Dear July | 6

Dear July,

Over the past few months I fell out of love with reading. At the time I put it down to exam stress and simply not wanting to read after spending all my time revising. Normally I fall back in love with reading when the summer rolls around and I have seemingly endless amounts of free time but that's not quite happened this year.

Our time together, July, is usually spent in the sun getting through as many books as possible, more so than my time with any of your friends. I usually spend most of my time with you living in fictional worlds as people other than myself but I simply don't seem to want to do that this year.

After thinking a lot about why I don't want to spend my time with you emerged in an alternate 'reality' I've begun to wonder if it's because this time we meet, July, you find me happier than I've ever been. I wonder if my reliance on fiction has disappeared because reality is a great place for me right now. While I'm not saying that everything is perfect in my life (that's rarely the case in anyone's life, everyone is fighting their own battles, after all) my life curre
ntly feels like I'm living in a fictional world because everything seems to be, well, okay. I think it's rare that so many things can be okay at once and I think my not wanting to read at the moment might be because I'm savouring every minute of my own life, rather than someone else's.

While I definitely don't think this is a bad thing in any way, I would like to spend a little bit more time with my fictional friends than I do at the moment. Maybe with the arrival of your friend, August, I might learn to get the balance a little more even.

Lucy x

No comments:

Post a Comment