16 July 2015

Doing Loved Things | Dear July | 4

Dear July,

I've often heard the phrase 'do more of what you love'. Until now, I've assumed that means the activities you love. When I hear that phrase my mind jumps straight to music, because it is the thing I'm most passionate about, but over our time together this year, July, I've realised that's not necessarily what that phrase means, for me at least.

I've realised that what makes me the happiest is spending extended amounts of time with the people I love most in the world. Whether that's going away for a few days with a few friends, simply spending time at my local beach with other friends or spending time with my cousins who are back visiting from their home on the other side of the globe, there is nothing that makes me happier than simply spending time with them. Although I do think I have some introvert qualities and at some point I do need time alone to recharge my energy, the last few weeks have reminded me that underneath those qualities I am an extrovert at my core and being around the right people changes my mind state dramatically for the better.

The key point with this, however, is it being the right people. I am incredibly lucky to have absolutely incredible people in my life at the moment, however this has decreased my tolerance for people who do not make me happy. For a long time I felt miserable as a result of toxic friendships that drained the energy from me, probably being the cause for me developing those introvert qualities, and my current friends have, without even being aware of doing so, showed me that life is too short to be around people who don't make you happy. As mean as it may sound, I've realised now that it's okay to be selfish and to do what makes you happy.

I talk a lot about how incredible my friends are but that's because I so whole-heartedly think they are. In complete honesty, I'm still a little amazed at how they've accepted me into their friendship group and I'm still adjusting to the idea of people actually wanting me around rather than merely tolerating me. July, sharing you with them has been an absolute pleasure and we're only half way through our time together. I so very sincerely hope I get to write to you for many more years to come telling you that these wonderful people are still in my life, but for now I'm ignoring the future and truly living in the moment, which is something I've never felt able to do before.

July, thank you for providing me with so much time to share with these people who I love so much.

Liebe Lucy x

No comments:

Post a Comment