2 July 2015

Celebrations | Dear July | 1

Dear July,

The first day I spend with you has always been one filled with birthday celebrations for my mother. This year, while echoing previous years in that respect, its main focus was my Year 13 school prom. The evening flashed by a vision of camera flashes and small talk but something just didn't feel right.

That's always the problem with celebrations as big as prom. They're built up so much that I find they never quite live up to the expectation. While before hand thoughts appear of a magical evening straight out of a disney film, in reality its just a group of people who have spent the last few years together in a room wearing nice clothes and eating food. Maybe that's cynical of me, but its all I could think this evening.

I wasn't in the right mind set for celebrations tonight. I feel like I've viewed the evening through a cloud, detached and unclear. Although I'm sure I'll look back on prom night as a happy evening, in reality, it wasn't really. The best part of the evening was being able to confide in one of my newly best friends everything that was worrying me and get things off my chest that I've been keeping close for far too long. While it was great to have some bonding time with her and honestly I feel like this evening brought us a lot closer, the topic of discussion wasn't exactly a happy one.

Although I often feel celebrations are what you make of them, sometimes they just can't live up to the hopes you hold for them. And sometimes, like tonight, its just not possible for you to enjoy them, as sad as that may be.

Liebe Lucy x

*The 'Dear July' concept is taken from Emily Diana Ruth on Youtube*

No comments:

Post a Comment