10 August 2014

Tiny Hands

A family football game while in West Wales
Liebe Lucy,

Two of the days last week were spent in the same caravan park my Nan used to take my brother and me too for a week in the summer holidays when we were younger, only this time, I was not the child in the situation. Family from New Zealand are here in the UK visiting as they do every summer and, as with every summer, I feel even closer to them now than I did last year. This is their second holiday within a holiday and although this time I am not there with them the whole time, as I was a few weeks ago for our trip to West Wales, the few days I have spent with them made all the difference.

My 7 year old cousin wants to spend all his time either body boarding in the sea, a love of his we discovered while at the beach last year, or playing on the 2p machines in the amusement park. He doesn't seem to care how cold the sea is, if he can body board he is happy. Although he's possibly the quietest of all my cousins, he is still happy to have a conversation and he's old enough now that that is possible. He is also old enough to enjoy listening to conversations between other family members, as I remember doing at his age.

My 3 year old cousin, the youngest in the whole family, is still as cute as always. Her love for Peppa Pig is still as strong as it was last year and she shares my own love for Frozen. Every now and then she tells me I'm her best friend and although she often changes her mind within the hour, there's something really lovely about a 3 year old saying you're her best friend. Recently she's started holding my hand without someone telling her she needs to. If we go out for a walk anywhere you can pretty much count on the fact that at some point she will wander over and take my hand to hold it as we walk, meaning we've had quite a few funny little conversations between the two of us.

The fact that in a week I won't be able to hold those tiny hands because they'll be on the other side of the world makes me so sad but at the same time I feel so lucky to be able to spend this time with my cousins. Yes it's frustrating that for 11 months of the year the only way I can see their faces is through photos on Facebook and late night facetime calls but at least that one month where I can see them whenever I want exists. That one month makes up for the 11 others.

Lucy x

No comments:

Post a Comment