24 August 2014

Missing People

Liebe Lucy,

It's that time of year again, the worst part of summer. My cousins and aunt have flown back home to New Zealand after being home for 6 weeks meaning I'm far too aware of the fact I won't see them for a year at least.

As we drove home from our afternoon at the park on our last full day together for the year, my 3 year old cousin turned to me and very seriously asked 'will you miss me?'. She later asked her mum 'can we come back later?'. There's something adorable but heart breaking about the age she is now in that she understands missing people but not quite why she has to feel like that. It had to be explained to her that they couldn't come back later because it was too far away and that's why they had to go on lots of different aeroplanes to get to us.

I'm going to miss my two cousins incredibly in the year it will be until I see them but I'm still happy for the time spent with them this year. The last time I saw them the three of us raced toy snails and sang Frozen songs together and those memories, hopefully, will be enough to keep me going until next summer.

Lucy x

No comments:

Post a Comment